Monday 30 January 2012

My GoodReads Review of Demon Girl by P S Power - well it was an okay part of a story

Demon Girl (Keeley Thomson Book One)Demon Girl by K L Byron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Be warned, this is not a complete story, it leaves more plot lines hanging than it concludes in this first book of what I would term a serial, rather than a series, since it really isn't much good reading this book stand alone.

I don't mind a book with a main plot and then a continuing arc subplot, but I was left after reading this book feeling cheated that I'd read a concluding subplot, not a major theme.
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************
***SPOLIER ALERT***************


Apart from the heavy Christian bashing that goes on throughout the book, which was verging on the uncomfortable at times, I really liked the character of Keeley, she's not depressive, or ponderous, she's practical, if a little bit sociopathic. I even liked Darla, although every time she was mentioned, I kept seeing Julie Benz thanks to the demonic Catholic Schoolgirl of the same name in Buffy. Most of the other characters are thinly, but sympathetically written.

My big beef with the book is the fact that it doesn't end, there is no payoff for the reader. We spend long enough with Keeley for her life to be turned upside down, a murder to be committed and some strange, possibly dangerous background characters to be introduced and then that's it, we're left without much of a resolution to anything. The only plot line that got anywhere was the lesser demon round up, which was clearly a red herring for the murder from the outset and I was left feeling cheated out of a plot. The book goes as far as the change of direction that normally comes before the final chase/climax in a movie, the bit where the protagonist discovers they've been barking up the wrong tree and needs to refocus and then, it just stops, rather gratuitously making it very clear there's everything left to solve.

I wanted at least something to be sorted, and the lesser demon did not feel big enough, a distraction, no more. This book gets its stars for generally good writing, although I did find the plot a bit flighty at times and interesting main characters, but it lacked a satisfying conclusion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)