Thursday 23 February 2012

My GoodReads Review of BloodSucker Bay by Rachel M D'aigle - I wanted more plot

Bloodsucker Bay (The Deamon Isle Witches)Bloodsucker Bay by Rachel M. D'aigle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I like the idea of this book more than the execution. I like the characters, I like the story, but it needs some editing and more writing to make me love it.

This feels more like the start of a story, rather than giving me a satisfying conclusion. I understand it is part of a series, but this just doesn't feel like a whole story to be published alone, but the first section in a longer work. And, even then, I think it needs some rewriting to expand the characters, take out the overwritten explanations and provide more show don't tell.

I think the author had certain scenes clearly in mind, but not all of the ideas get onto the page, which means the pace is far too quick for my taste. Any suspense is left between stories, not in this actual story, which, since it is being presented as a standalone work, left me dissatisfied. Everything is in question-answer pairs and the only answer to be given in this story comes far too quickly, even episodes of TV shows usually take longer to get to the point.

So, I gave this book a three star review for the ideas, but I'd have liked more plot.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)