Thursday 26 April 2018

Ghostly Inspirations W is for Waterfall #AtoZChallenge 2018


Welcome to my offering for The A to Z Blogging Challenge 2018
My theme this year is Ghostly Inspirations
a collection of spirits that have been prompted by my encounters with places and times. Some are spooky, some more about atmosphere. I'll be describing each inspiration and the phantom that came to my mind, and then I will share a drabble, which I hope will entertain. :)



Disclaimer: The places and experienced I have used for my inspiration are real, but my ghosts and drabbles are complete fiction, linked to nothing and no-one, alive or dead. When writing about my inspirations, I may have changed names and obfuscated specific details to 'protect the innocent' :).

~

W is for Waterfall




Inspiration:
I am scared of water, I never learnt to swim properly as a kid and I fell in a pond when I was 8. However, I love being close to moving water, rivers, lakes, and especially waterfalls. There are a trio of falls in Yorkshire called Aysgarth Falls. You reach them by walking through an atmospheric wood with grass mounds and deep dark groves, and the falls themselves are majestic, violent pulses of raw nature. These pounding rushes of water are my inspiration today.

Ghost:
Laurie hadn’t meant to die, but he had forgotten to respect the water. He’d been showing off to Camilla, his latest young lady, hopping onto stones a little way out in the river. He’d done it lots of times, but this time, he’d failed to note the ferocity of the water after the storms the week before. The water had been too high, the rocks were slippery and he’d skidded off the stone, right into the water. The waterfalls did not forgive such mistakes and when he had come round, he had become part of their rage.
~

Too Close

James stood at the edge of the river, the sheer power of the water drowning out the nature behind him. His ears rang with the roar and underneath it, he heard something else - a whisper.

“Closer.”

He stepped closer to the rumbling cascade, the toes of his shoes a hair’s breadth away from the foam. He was so close now, he could feel the power running through the stone up his legs. He looked down at the peat-dark water a little further out.

Something pale moved against the vicious current. James’ pulse skipped. He swallowed. Suddenly afraid, he stepped back.


~

Other paranormal and spooky stories by Sophie Duncan.


~




Newsletter Subscription Form

We'll send you details of book releases, competitions and other news from our authors, BUT we WON'T spam you, or pass your details on to anyone else.
Wittegen Press

We will also give you 2 FREE ebooks just for signing up.

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)