Monday 2 April 2018

Ghostly Inspirations B is for Bad Night #AtoZChallenge 2018


Welcome to my offering for The A to Z Blogging Challenge 2018
My theme this year is Ghostly Inspirations
a collection of spirits that have been prompted by my encounters with places and times. Some are spooky, some more about atmosphere. I'll be describing each inspiration and the phantom that came to my mind, and then I will share a drabble, which I hope will entertain. :)



Disclaimer: The places and experienced I have used for my inspiration are real, but my ghosts and drabbles are complete fiction, linked to nothing and no-one, alive or dead. When writing about my inspirations, I may have changed names and obfuscated specific details to 'protect the innocent' :).

~

B is for Bad Night




Inspiration:
I once helped to organise an offsite for work. Our entire department went on a two day team-building event to a rather grand hotel in the middle of the Kent countryside. The place was an old manor house. Most of the accomodation was in converted stable blocks, but, lucky me, as a member of the organising team, I got to stay in one of the rooms inside the big house. It was a very ornate room, with sconces on the high ceiling, heavy curtains and a huge bed.

I should have been very comfortable - only - I wasn’t alone that night. I couldn’t see them, whoever they were, but the atmosphere in the room was such that I barely got a wink of sleep, and when I did, it was with the lights on.

Ghost:
Nanette made the mistake of falling in love with and marrying an English soldier on a French battlefield. When that soldier, a supposed gentleman, abandoned her on his return to England, he left her pregnant with his child and disowned by her family for loving the enemy. With no other recourse, Nanette followed him away from her home and into Kent.. She found the love of her life at his country estate, holding a party to celebrate his engagement to a young society girl.

Nanette threw herself at her husband’s feet, begging him to honour his vows, but unable to speak a word of English, none but her unfaithful spouse knew what she was saying. She only learnt of his callous disregard for her when he ordered his servants to drag her out of his sight. Actions spoke louder than words for Nanette, and, at last understanding the true nature of her lover, she broke away from those who held her and struggled for the stairs.

Distraught, Nanette fought her way to the roof and threw herself and the baby in her belly to their deaths.


It is said her ghost hounded the man, who had ruined her, on his wedding night and every night thereafter until he went insane, leaving his new wife a wealthy widow as he languished in an asylum. Although her revenge was complete, Nanette’s spirit remains at her husband’s house to this day, tied to it by the loss of her baby, but these days she is felt and heard rather than seen.

~

The Corner

This room is too bloody big: the bedside lights don’t reach all the way into the two far corners, so each time I glance across there I’m faced with gloom from floor to ceiling. I can kind of make out the lines of the decorative stucco work that makes this place so grand, but I don’t look too long, because there’s something else there I don’t want to see.

I can’t really see, haven’t seen her all night, but still my eyes are drawn there, to the corner by the window. So, I sit, I shiver, I wait for dawn.


~
Other paranormal and spooky stories by Sophie Duncan.


~




Newsletter Subscription Form

We'll send you details of book releases, competitions and other news from our authors, BUT we WON'T spam you, or pass your details on to anyone else.
Wittegen Press

We will also give you 2 FREE ebooks just for signing up.

* indicates required

15 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Love how you combined place and history in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb! Makes me shudder - and I love the background for your ghost.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - Movie Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - she just came to me as I thought of those grand surroundings and how I didn't fit in :)

      Delete
  3. Love the way you meshed past and present :) Plus I always love a ghost story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Not a place I'd like to spend the night. That being said, this was a brilliant read, Sophie. The haunting tale will stay with me for sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addicted to English mysteries, I have visited many a manor house in the countryside. I assume you tied in a bit of history to your tale. Your story belongs in one of the bookstores I am writing about for the challenge. Look forward to the next tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about the English Manor that lends itself to mystery :)

      Delete
  6. I've stayed in rooms like that in the past and slept with the light on and sometimes even the tv. Love the story about the French girl and glad her awful husband ended up in an asylum.
    Pamela @ Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did end up putting the TV on too :) Yes, he deserved it, death would have been too good an ending for him.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed reading. I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink either.

    Best wishes,
    Nilanjana
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me who gets the heeby jeebies about places :)

      Delete
  8. I was born in an old English mansion with a ghost, but even though I lived there for a few years, I never saw it. Also, the family home felt haunted, although it was built centuries later. Sometimes, ancestors don't want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a haunted house as well, so I know what you mean :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)