The novel I've chosen to write is a rewrite and then an extension of a novella that has proved to be my most popular download (admittedly, it's free), so the first few days were fairly easy, because I had a very firm idea in my head from the original story that just had to be worked on. Sunday and yesterday, I began work on extra scenes that weren't in the original, pieces of character development that I could get away with leaving out in a shorter work, but that need to go in the prepare the way for the novel. And boy did Sunday show me I wasn't in the full writing groove yet.
I got stuck at just 700 words on Sunday, one short scene that I wasn't even happy with then. However, I woke up yesterday with a better idea of what I wanted to achieve in the intermediate scenes and that really helped, because I knew what the hook was, where I was going and, even working a full day, I managed to almost make my quota. So, I am slowly slipping into the groove of the story again, beginning to understand my characters and know where I want to take them.
I'm happier now, because I know I'm not just relying on the old prose to prop me up, I'm developing the story in a new way, and, although some of it is close to the original, it's being combined with new angles and ideas that will take the story beyond the novella.
So, now to work (and not writing, I'm afraid), but I have a new character and another additional scene to work on in my head during any pauses in my day. I'm even considering shifting the timeline a day to slow the pace, but I'm not sure, it might not be necessary - only today's ruminations will tell!
Have fun with your stuff today fellow NaNoers!