Friday 20 January 2012

Sophie's Review of The Star Child by Stephanie Keyes - A good read

The Star ChildThe Star Child by Stephanie Keyes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

******SPOILER ALERT - I DISCUSS THE DETAILS OF THE BOOK, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW*******
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
******SPOILER ALERT - I DISCUSS THE DETAILS OF THE BOOK, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW*******
I enjoyed this book, it had a mostly good pace and interesting characters. I would have liked to have given 4.5, instead of 4, because it is almost perfect, but a few things held me back from the full 5. It needs a teensie weensie bit more editing, especially towards the end (made me think the author had got a bit over excited and just typed stuff wrong :) ), there are some wrong word, to instead of too, your instead of you're.

I also felt that sometimes Kellan was not a good observer, and since this book is first person POV, just occasionally I didn't get the drama of a scene until after the fact, because Kellan didn't observe it in the other characters - the prophecy scene is one such scene, I didn't get Calienta's nerves until she actually said the place was not safe at the end of the scene.

I also felt that psycho Dad, Stephen, needed some more back story - but then this could be waiting for book 2, so I didn't cast judgement, or dock stars on that one. But I did want more info about Uncle Dillion as well, and since there was a whole part with him in it, some more background would have been nice: if there is a book 2, I can see him playing a part in it.

I kinda guessed/hoped Cabhan would not get killed which made me happy :D The ending was pretty satisfactory as far as fulfilling my expectations went. Twu Wuv was handled sincerely and without too much sappiness. I am glad Gabe came back into it, I was rather afraid at the beginning that Kellan was just going to abandon his family and friends for the solitary life in Ireland.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)