Saturday 31 December 2011

My Goodreads Review of Scary Mary by S.A. Hunter

Scary MaryScary Mary by S.A. Hunter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, I didn't expect to finish this all in one day, but it was a really good book. Mary is a great character, typical 'individual' teenager from YA, but the interesting bit is that she hears ghosts. Cool start for me, because I love a good ghost story and the whole clairaudient thang is well handled in the prose.

It's a high school story, with evil cheerleaders and jocks as expected, but something about Mary and her friend, Rachel, kept me reading and I am all for a good cliche if it is written well, and these are.

The pace is slightly off for me at the end, it goes from a few bubbles to full-on boil in a heartbeat and the action at the end made me wonder how it all got covered up, but it was such a fun read that I'll forgive it the Poltergeist-like chaos at the end.

S.A. Hunter, good writer, left a few 'romantic' loose ends for the sequel, which actually I am tempted to go buy!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear from you. :)